1) What are Soft Paws®? Soft Paws are an excellent alternative to declawing. They are easy to apply at home and cats and their owners love them. They are completely safe and humane and can be used on cats of all ages.
Soft Paws are vinyl nail caps that are glued on to your cat's existing nails. They look like a cat's nail, only hollow.
They are easy to apply and cats tolerate them extremely well.
2) How are Soft Paws applied? Soft Paws are easy to apply. Simply fill the nail cap with the adhesive provided and slide it on over your cat's claw. The glue dries very fast.
3) How long do they last and how often do they need to be reapplied? Once the nail caps are applied they remain in place for approximately 4-6 weeks. They will fall off with the natural growth of your cat's nails. We recommend that you check your cat's nails periodically because usually just one or two fall off at a time and these can be easily reapplied.
Each kit contains 40 nail caps and will last approximately 4-6 months per cat. Note: While the vast majority of cats acclimate to the claw covers within minutes, some cats may require an adjustment period. Cat's fastidious natures sometimes causes them to groom the claw covers excessively at first. This may result in one or two falling off. No problem. Just check the claws daily at first and if one is missing, simply replace it with another from the package. Thus, the first package may not last as long as subsequent packages. Again, most cats do not even notice they are wearing them after the first 30 minutes.
A good tip is to feed your cat his or her favorite food after applying the Soft Paws. This serves as a good reward and also diverts their attention away from their new acquisition. Some people find it easier to apply the Soft Paws when their cats are sleepy.
4) Are Soft Paws safe and do they hurt the cat? Soft Paws are completely safe, painless and non-toxic. Even if they are swallowed, no
problem will result. They just pass on through the digestive system. The glue is harmless as well.
5) Can cats still extend and retract their claws with the Soft Paws? Absolutely. Soft Paws are designed not to interfere with the normal extension and retraction of claws.
6) Will Soft Paws interfere with my cat's normal scratching and stretching behavior? No. Your cat can still stretch and make scratching motions but no damage will occur to your furniture because the claw is effectively covered and protected.
7) Can I apply Soft Paws myself? Absolutely, most people apply the nail caps themselves. Some enlist the help of a friend or family member. This is a good idea at first if you are not used to handling your cat alone.
If you can trim your cat's claws, you can apply the nail caps.
If you have any questions, you can call us at 1-800-989-2542.
8) How do I know what size my cat needs? Please see our size chart. You can use this to determine what size your cat will use. Soft Paws come in the following sizes: Kitten, small medium and large. Most average size cats wear medium. If your cat is very small boned, choose the small size. Very large boned cats tend towards large. Kittens usually are big enough to wear Soft Paws by 12-16 weeks of age.
Soft Paws will fit most kittens by the time they reach the age of 16 weeks (4 months). Some kittens can wear them as early as age 12 weeks (3 months) . To test, try a nail cap on first without the adhesive. If it looks too big, don’t glue it on. The nail cap should fit snugly, like a glove.
To accommodate younger kittens, you can trim the base of the Soft Paws nail cap making it smaller so it will fit your kitten’s nail. Kittens up to about 5 pounds generally fit the kitten size. Kittens up to about 5 months generally fit the kitten size.
Approximately 6 months of age. Approximately 6-8 pounds . Some kittens at 5 months may need the small size if they are growing fast or are largebreed cats. Small-boned adult cats often wear the small size. If your cat seems smaller than an average full-grown cat, choose small.
Approximately 9-13 pounds. Most adult average size cats wear medium.
Approximately 14 pounds and up. Very large-boned and large-breed cats wear large. Maine Coons, for example, are very large cats and generally wear large. If you have any questions, please call us 1-800-989-2542.
9) What about the different colors?
Soft Paws come in the following colors: Clear, blue, purple, red and pink.
Kitten size is only available in clear.
Soft Paws® Size Chart
Paw Size Length Width
Kitten 6mm 4mm
Small 6mm 5mm
Medium 7mm 6mm
Large 9mm 7mm
Length: end to tip - longest point
Width: top to bottom - widest point Extend your cat's claw and measure against the black area. If you are in between sizes,
choose the smaller size! Most average size cats wear medium. If your cat is very small boned, choose the small size. Very large boned cats tend towards large. Kittens usually are big enough to wear Soft Paws by 12-16 weeks of age.
10) Can cats get infections from these like humans can get from acrylic nails? No. Cat's claws are completely different from human nails. Cats shed the outer sheaths of their claws periodically. You have probably seen this around their scratching post (or couch). The same happens when they are wearing Soft Paws. The nail cap comes off with the normal shedding of the outer nail sheath. This prevents the possibility of
11) Can Soft Paws be used on back claws? Yes. Although most people apply Soft Paws only to the front paws, they can also be used on the back if desired. Applying Soft Paws to the hind claws will help prevent damage from cats jumping on and off furniture. Also, many people have used Soft Paws on the hind claws of cats who have skin problems and scratch excessively. The nail caps help prevent self-inflicted damage from scratching.
12) Should Soft Paws only be used on indoor cats? Yes. Soft Paws should only be used on indoor cats because they will blunt the cat's
defenses. Cats who go outdoors should not wear Soft Paws.
13) Can Soft Paws be used on ferrets, rabbits and iguanas? Yes. Soft Paws work great on ferrets, rabbits and iguanas. Use the following guidelines for sizing.
Ferrets: Use kitten size.
Rabbits: Use Soft Paws for dogs, size small.
Iguanas: One foot and less (without tail) will probably wear kitten. Over a foot will probably use Soft Paws for dogs, size small. These caps may need to be trimmed at the base so they are shorter to provide a better fit. The best accepted color for iguanas is black.
Simple Four Step SoftPaws® Application
1. Trim tip of cat's nails. For kittens, do not trim the nails first!
2. Fill nail caps 1/3 full with adhesive.
3. Extend nails by gently pressing thumb on top with index finger on bottom of paw.
4. Observe cat for five minutes before release
For kittens, please note: Do not trim kittens' claws before applying SoftPaws. You will need sufficient claw surface for the glue to adhere properly.